Solar Battery Management System
To maximise LiFePO4 battery lifespan the cells in the battery must be kept within the voltage window as recommended by the manufacturer. This requires a Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the cell voltages and:
- can balance the state of charge of the cells
- is able to inhibit charging to prevent cell overvoltage
- is able to inhibit discharging to prevent cell undervoltage
- is able to activate the above charge and discharge mechanisms in event of over/under temperature or other system issues
- is configured (wired) to support long-term storage of the battery system with leakage currents in the micro-amperage range.
- record occurrences of cell voltage exceeding low/high voltage limits (note that our systems are designed to prevent this ever occurring)
4-Cell Active BMS
The REC Active BMS for 4 cells (nominal 12V battery) is a high end unit which, in conjunction with Solar4RVs designed opto-isolated adaptors and wiring guidelines provides all the necessary functionality to meet the LiFePO4 cell manufacturer's requirements for the BMS.
The 16-cell unit accommodates from 5 to 16 cells and has proven "plug-and-play" compatibility with SMA Sunny Island inverters (over 200 units are in operation with SMA inverters).
Bi-stable relay drivers (high/low side), pre-charge resistors, relays are available.
Support: We support the REC BMS units across Australiia. For example the REC BMS units are used on the Diesel-Electric hybrid Greenline boats for which we provide support.
We work closely with the manufacturer and can provide rapid responses to requests for support and firmware upgrades.