3M VHB Acrylic Foam Tape 4991 2.3mm thick x 24mm wide x 33m length roll
Very High Bond (VHB) double sided tape
- Obtaining optimum performance with 3M™ VHB™ Tapes
- Surface Preparation for 3M™ VHB™ Tape Applications
- 3M VHB™ Tapes Technical Data
3M 4941 tape is a conformable, very high bond acrylic foam tape which has added performance for bonding to plasticised vinyl due to a specially formulated adhesive which resists plasticiser migration.
Its improved conformability also allows more complete bond contact area when bonding rigid or irregular materials. The product has somewhat lower peel, tensile and shear performance than other VHB tape products due to its inherent softness.
4941's principal advantages are that it provides a more uniform seal on irregular surfaces, and in visible bonds under a transparent surface it offers a more aesthetically pleasing bond.
4941 is suitable for many interior and exterior industrial applications.
In addition this core adhesive composition makes the product well suited to many paints and primers.
1. Bond strength is dependent upon the amount of adhesive-to-surface contact developed. Firm application pressure develops better adhesive contact & thus improves bond strength.
2. To obtain optimum adhesion, the bonding surfaces must be clean dry and well unified. A typical surface cleaning solvent is isopropyl alcohol & water or methylated spirits is suitable for bonding to the back of the lightweight solar panels and the recommended roof surfaces of aluminium and fibreglass and also polycarbonate. The 3M primer is not required for normal applications, but is available where the end user requires it. Use proper safety precautions for handling solvents.
3. Ideal tape application temperature range is 20°C to 40°C Initial tape application to surfaces at temperatures below 15°C is not recommended because the adhesive becomes too firm to adhere readily. However once properly applied low temperature holding is generally satisfactory.
This product has been found to be particularly suitable for bonding wooden (primed), aluminium (anodised) and PVC.
The conformable nature of the acrylic foam core allows for good 'wetting out' of the adhesive thus providing good
adhesive to surface contact.
Also, good contact eliminates unsightly air bubbles. Primers might be appropriate when bonding such systems.
Thickness (ASTM D-3652)
Tape: 1.10mm ± 15 %
Liner: 0.10 mm
Total: 1.20 mm